Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Immigration

My response is towards Governmental Confusion's blog, which is about illegal immigration.

Let me start off by saying he did an exceptional job on this particular blog. I completely agree with everything he said. A couple weeks ago I went to GameStop with my boyfriend so he could buy a new game Dark Sector. As we got in my car to drive away he was reading the back of the game, of course the first thing he noticed was every single thing was written in English AND Spanish. His first thought was that he might have accidentally purchased a Spanish version of the game. Although the video game was in fact in English, the fact that these thoughts even crossed his mind is ridiculous. Governmental Confusion states "We plaster Spanish on billboards and cereal boxes; we even offer the citizenship test in English and Spanish! Giving them no reason to have to learn." I couldn't agree with him more! I also agree that there is no problem whatsoever if an immigrant comes into our country and becomes a citizen, although I, and many others feel they must learn our language as well. I work at a restaurant Texas Roadhouse and I can't tell you how many times I've had to get someone who speaks Spanish and English to translate what someone wants to order to English. Most of the time, being our own employees. Out of respect for all of us they need to take the initiative and try to learn our language!

No comments: